Anxiety Treatment Center in Palm Springs, CA
Anxiety disorders are a group of mental health conditions characterized by excessive and persistent feelings of worry, fear, and nervousness. These feelings can interfere with daily activities and make it difficult for individuals to lead normal lives. Some of the most common anxiety disorders include generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder.
What An Anxiety Disorder Feels Like
For those living with untreated anxiety disorders, the experience can be debilitating and overwhelming. Anxiety is a normal and often healthy emotion, but for those with an anxiety disorder, anxiety can become excessive, persistent, and overwhelming. Here are some common ways anxiety may feel to someone with an anxiety disorder:
- Intense worry: Anxiety can cause intense and persistent worry about everyday situations and events, sometimes even before they occur.
- Physical symptoms: Anxiety can also cause physical symptoms, including a racing heartbeat, sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, and stomach upset.
- Panic attacks: Anxiety can sometimes escalate to a panic attack, which is a sudden and intense surge of fear that can cause symptoms such as chest pain, sweating, dizziness, and feeling like you are losing control.
- Avoidance: Anxiety can lead people to avoid certain situations or activities they fear will trigger their anxiety.
- Intrusive thoughts: Anxiety can also cause intrusive thoughts or obsessions that may be difficult to control, such as worrying about germs or harming others.
- Perfectionism: Anxiety can also lead to perfectionism and excessive self-criticism, causing a person to feel like they are never doing enough.
Benefits of Residential Anxiety Treatment
Treatment for anxiety disorders is essential to manage the symptoms and improve one’s overall quality of life. Without treatment, individuals with anxiety disorders may be at a higher risk of depression and suicide.
Palm Springs Behavioral Health offers comprehensive inpatient services for adults age 18 and older who have been struggling with anxiety disorders. The residential program at Palm Springs Behavioral Health offers focused services and comprehensive support to help adults achieve stabilization so that they can return home or step down to a less restrictive level of care.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
The most common anxiety disorders we see and treat at Palm Springs Behavioral Health are:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): This is characterized by excessive and persistent worry about a variety of different things, such as health, finances, relationships, and work.
- Panic Disorder: This involves recurrent and unexpected panic attacks, which are sudden surges of intense fear or discomfort that can cause physical symptoms like chest pain, sweating, and palpitations.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: This is marked by intense fear and avoidance of social situations due to a fear of embarrassment or humiliation.
- Specific Phobias: This involves an intense and irrational fear of a specific object, situation, or activity, such as heights, spiders, or flying.
How We Treat Anxiety
Palm Springs Behavioral Health only provides sanctioned, proven treatment protocols and research-supported therapeutic interventions. These include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), exposure therapy, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and psychiatric medication management. Our team of mental health professionals works closely with each person to identify the full scope of their needs so that we can be sure that we’re providing the personalized care that will help them achieve improved health.
With the appropriate therapy and medical interventions, individuals with anxiety disorders can learn to live without persistent fear and panic. It all starts in our residential program at Palm Springs Behavioral Health. Reach out to learn more.